Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rise of the e-book and other thoughts

Well hardly a meteoric rise from my point of view, but interestingly out of the last 55 book sales, 8 have been as e-books. Not staggering numbers as a total, but an interesting proportion. There is much speculation among those who have little else to do that e-books have a huge future. They are certainly a different approach, and have a couple of advantages in that you can carry  an entire library in a thing the size of a paperback, and those with a visual impairment (or just me when I've left my glasses somewhere) can increase the print size. In the past such myopics were restricted to the 'large print' section of the library, which only seemed to include a few Mills and Boon things and maybe the odd 'over 65's guide to North Wales' or such similar best-seller. On the other hand, the advantage of a physical book is that the batteries never run out.
An update from the last post - absolutely nobody sought me out for a free book at Hartpury, but the show went well, daughter completing a number of very impressive rounds, inculding a 14th place out of a field of 70 odd in one class. The weather was brilliant too, making walking the dogs in a nearby field a pleasant experience instead of a miserable trudge as it would have been if wet. Both dogs behaved impeccably too - just as well really.
Unfortunately both horses are now on rest as there are rumbling lameness problems in the younger one, and some form of arthritis in the shoulder of the older one - although at 12 years old she is hardly ready for Fray Bentos yet.But these things are sent to try us, so will just have to make the best of it and hope for a recovery in the younger and as much improvement as possible in the older.
I must try to settle into the sequel to the first book, but a few obstacles to concentration keep cropping up - as soon as they subside (assuming they do) I will try to get organised.
Meanwhile I also have the fleet of motorcycles to think about fettling up for a bit of use before summer hurtles past and petrol becomes a form of jewellery for the super-rich. Still, at least my day is better than Bin Laden's last weekend. 'Bloody hell that helicopter sounds low' followed by 'Ooh my brain hurts', followed by 'can I have my brain back please'. I am not a fan of capital punishment, but in OBL's case the term 'good riddance to bad rubbish' cames to mind. That's about as political as I get here.
More ramblings and news as it happens, or within a month or two anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home